Wednesday, July 14, 2010

     Working outside you have to be aware of and plan for the weather.  A hot and sunny day at Lavender Fields means extra water and sunscreen, a cool and breezy day, I'm pulling out the long sleeves and my to-go cup filled to the brim with piping hot coffee (can't wait for fall).  Now rain... that's a whole 'nother story.  When it rains I'm lucky enough to sit at home in my studio with Rosie our dog, a pot of coffee, and CNN, and still be able to contribute to the success of the farm.  
     In the Lavender Fields Cottage store almost all of the products for sale are handmade by local crafts people (actually, I can't think of any that aren't!).  Our amazingly talented group of crafts people transform the lavender that is grown and harvested right here on the farm into the products sold in the store; lavender soaps, lavender lotions, lavender bug away, (keeps away the bugs) culinary items, jams and jellies, sachets, moth-away, eye pillows, neck wraps the list goes on...  
     Back to the weather...  All week the weatherman has been predicting rain and severe thunderstorms for the early morning and afternoon hours (when I'm at the farm) across all of Southern Delaware.  I hate not having a plan, so with the impending rain I've channeled my creative spirit and plan sit at the sewing machine until the sun comes back out.   Sadly, the weatherman was a little of the mark, most of the rain has fallen late in the afternoon and evening hours, but not all is lost.  For two days I've been able to sit quietly (the kids are at camp) and create!

Soon to be lavender filled shoe-stuffers.  I start by embroidering strips of crisp white cotton.   
Each piece is then hand-cut and pinned together.
Each one is filled with our dried lavender, I add a ribbon, it's sewn shut and then ready to be sold in the Cottage store.
I've also been working on lavender filled satchets.  
Depending on the weather, I may get more of these done tomorrow?!
 
Hope to see you soon!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment