Thursday, June 2, 2011

IN BLOOM AND BUZZING BEES

I just took my best picture ever, at least I think so!  More on the picture in a minute.
Lavender Fields Farm has been a-buzz with activity.  First, let me announce to the world and all those concerned that Yes, the lavender is in bloom!  Hidcote, Munstead, you name it, if it's English Lavender its blooming and we have it!
Our English varieties of lavender have finally burst open and boy is it a sight to be seen!  It's amazing, each year the plants emerge from a winters sleep looking all sad and gray and with just a few weeks of warm temps and sunshine they turn into the most beautiful plants on the planet.  (plus, they smell heavenly)

So, warm temps and great sunshine make a happy lavender field and a happy blooming fields means happy buzzing bees.  (this is were my great pic comes in)  Here at the Lavender Fields Farm we have 8 happy and thriving beehives.  Sadly, I don't know the total amount of Lavender Honey the bees produced last year but I would imagine it was....  Gosh, I can't even guess but I'll ask the Boss!  Keep in mind, our bees make the best lavender honey around and when its in stock it goes fast!
So on to my great pic.
Pretty nice!?
English Lavender Hidcote (lavandula angustifolia)

Also English lavender, yes, it comes in many colors. 

I've had many visitors ask questions on when and how to harvest, we'll talk about that next time.
Enjoy,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment